Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Getting ready for baby Alex

It's just a few days before I get induced to have our first baby and I'm anxiously waiting for my labor to start spontaneously. Because of my history of chronic hypertension they feel that it's necessary to induce me, which is fine with me! Just the idea of knowing when he will be coming into this world (well, an estimate) makes me feel so much better. But now every cramp, movement and discomfort puts me in an alert state thinking "maybe this is it". A couple of weeks ago when I went in for my routine fetal monitoring I was having frequent contractions (although I didn't feel them) so they hooked me up to an IV and put me in a labor room! And my husband, who was out on the range to qualify for his weapon, came back without even getting to shoot. It was quite the excitement. Anyway, the contractions eventually went away and here I am today, starting this blog in hopes of documenting these little memories so that they will not be forgotten.

So we finally finished the nursery, the week before his arrival. Better late than never right? Well, I guess technically it's not late since he's not here yet :) We wanted to do something that he can grow into, and something that's not so babyish. Although I thought all those little nursery themes like elephants really cute my husband didn't seem to excited about those. It didn't really excite me either. And while looking through Amazon for wall decals (because we can't paint.. Well, we can but we have to paint it back. Laziness...) I saw the Mario brothers decal for like.. the third time. I never thought to actually go with the mario theme but my husband told me to get it. And it helped that it was half price since the last time i looked! Anyway, with a little googling and imagination I came up with (what seemed like) a simple plan. The shelves were ordered from Amazon (I absolutely love Amazon... can you tell?). I wanted to find a shelf that was already painted like Mario blocks but couldn't. So we painted them ourselves... which didn't seem like it would be a difficult task. But, due to my lack of research on painting furniture, when we finished taping and painting 2-3 layers of paint onto the shelf it started peeling! The nice man at lowes told me (after we finished painting for a week in 90 degree weather!) that unless we use primer first, paint wouldn't stick onto the laminate! At this point we were both sick of painting and decided to spray some clear paint on top and hope for the best. We'll paint it again properly someday...

 I accidentally left the parts for the ? door in the box and my husband threw them away. So we drilled holes on top and bottom and used little wooden stub thingies so it swings open. We'll add the little knob later..
 The decals turned out to be really cute and we really enjoyed creating our own little mario world on the wall! There were a few pieces that we ended up not using because it would've looked too crowded. I loved that there were enough pieces!
 These cubes were not meant to be mounted on the wall.. They have this thin board for the backing so we couldn't use that to mount it onto the wall. So we got a long piece of wood and nailed it on the back, then into the wall. Even then it was tilting forward a little bit. So we got these support bracket things to put under them.

We absolutely love how this nursery turned out with a small budget and short amount of time! I originally wanted to make a yoshi mobile as well but I heard they only use the mobile for a little bit. Plus he has a mobile in the bassinet. I wish I had time to make Mario baby blankets and sheets. Maybe that'll be my next "big" project ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment